Tag Archives: North Carolina
May 17, 2013
It is difficult to think of schools teaching financial literacy basics without a chuckle because most of the systems running these institutions cannot even manage taxpayer money. The behavior is the key to change, and schools are not masters of positive changes of behavior in a radical way such as personal finance and financial literacy. What schools can do is provide teaching with interactive activities from elementary until graduation. This should be an outsourced venture with measurements of success that is based individually not universal measurement of a group. The adult in the real world has to make changes by changing behaviors without any training or interaction in the personal finance and business world to break bad financial habits.
Our government is not the example to follow into bringing fiscal responsibility or prosperity to an individual’s life. The change of behavior is the will to empower one’s self to change. The following is an excerpt from MyMoneyBlog.com discussing the way to change:
So how do we change our bad habits so that we are more productive, healthier, and wealthier? We have to understand the Habit Loop, which consists of a cue, the routine itself, and a reward. In the case of toothpaste, the cue is feeling a film over your teeth (or just waking up). The routine is brushing your teeth with toothpaste. The reward is the feeling of a clean mouth, but critically also the tingling feeling from the toothpaste. Even though it doesn’t actually help clean your teeth, without the ingredients that cause the tingling, people don’t feel like toothpaste does it’s job and won’t buy it. We crave the tingling.
Stopping a habit means stopping the habit loop. For example, Duhigg was gaining weight because every afternoon he would go down to the cafeteria and eat a cookie and socialize with friends. After some experimentation, he figured out that the socializing was the reward, and the cookie-eating had just been subconsciously linked. So he started a new habit where he would socialize away from cookies and the craving of snacks went away….Courtesy of MyMoneyBlog.com
In a personal experience, money became the value in life, but the money is a tool to use the value creation of efforts in working or being successful. Taking all the access to money away from myself; I taught myself that everything has value. The value of self was a creator of something from nothing. This opened my mind and my life to appreciate this life. Consumption was placing a value in money and leaving me empty on the inside. Basically, a person from a privileged background had to learn to live on zero dollars per month. What a life changing experience it was for me, and that behavioral change knows the futility in providing some books and instructions to teach financial literacy in our schools without having events like A Small Business Fair as Science Fairs are held in school.
Do you have a financial experience or story to share? Please contact us and we may feature your story on the site. Please allow 48 hours to contact after completing contact form.
- Financial literacy (ngills.wordpress.com)
- Personal Finance on Campus: University of Kentucky (cardhub.com)
- Can Congress Help Boost the Nation’s Financial Literacy? (dailyfinance.com)
- Improving women’s financial literacy, worldwide (dominicantoday.com)
- NC takes steps to improve financial literacy among students | Economy | NewsObserver.com (thewiseme.com)
- MoneyWi$e Week is all about financial literacy (jacksonville.com)
- The Unexpected Power of Financial Literacy (crcblog.typepad.com)
- 4 Ways to Make Financial Literacy Work for Kids (dailyfinance.com)
- ‘Financial literacy key to economic growth’ (daily-mail.co.zm)
May 2, 2013
I grew up in Goldsboro, NC, and you had to make something out of nothing. The biggest event was the New Kids on the Block appearing at the local mall when I was in high school. Goldsboro is located in Wayne County, and Wayne County is instilled in my background. I am a fighter, and I had to fight to survive.
I have employees who are depending on me today to come through. The Wayne County fight is becoming the dominant factor over the cancer that is eating at my life. My personal finance site will help millions of people. I will make it work. I will not let cancer defeat me…
My employees should know that we are moving forward, and we will overcome this bump in the road. Takecontrolofmoney will be a household name in one year.
- Wayne County Brothers Charged With Manufacturing Meth (witn.com)
- Authorities Name Suspect In Goldsboro Murder (witn.com)
- Missing Fisherman in Wayne County (wnep.com)
- Of sound mind and memory. (ncfpc.net)
- Mullin awarded $712K in pay, fees (wxyz.com)
- 2 Men Charged In Wayne County Home, Business, Car Break-Ins Spree (witn.com)
February 17, 2013
The little hobbies of life are the avenues to capture our interest the most. Weather is a personal favorite. My family resides in North Carolina, and DC has a difficult time being on the Potomac to have accumulating snow except for the 2009-2010 season. North Carolina has even more issues being in the mid-south. The snow had to overcome a spring like Friday and temperatures in the 40′s up to the time the snow began in earnest less than an hour after rain moved into the area.
North Carolina residences were excited to see the heavy snowfall but most of the accumulations was lost to the warm soil temps. The snow was heavier east of Raleigh where my family resides. The snow was moderate to heavy in the early afternoon on Saturday. The ground finally turns white and the snowfall accumulations in the local area was around 2.0″ of a thick wet heavy snow and roads were beginning to become covered in slush. Then the snowfall intensity was greatly reduced as light snow fell from 4 pm until the snowfall intensity did increase in intensity around 10 pm. The break in the intensity could not overcome the warm soil temps as the snow began to melt as the light snow could not overcome the melting of the snow on the ground until the second band of heavy snow did arrive later in the evening.
The second round began and the heaviest of the snowfall was from 11 pm -12:30 am as 1.5″ of the additional 2.0″ of snowfall was in a 90 minute period. The snow did cover everything only to melt on the highways after the snow stopped to freeze and turn into ice skating rinks early Sunday morning. The snow has stopped, and temperatures are barely above freezing but a February sun angle in the South had melted the exposed areas of snow by noon. Snow still exists in the shaded areas, after the wind intensity blew the snow off most of the homes. It is a nice break to have those “snow days” to areas that receive all snow events on few occasions. Ice and sleet fell in late January with high’s only in the 20′s to make the roads a nightmare, and the initial snow made everything white turn into ice. Included in the article are a few pictures taken from the Saturday event.
- Snow to continue into the night; much of it won’t stick (newsobserver.com)
- Snow expected for parts of Eastern Carolina this weekend | News – WCTI NewsChannel 12 (thewiseme.com)
- Icy spots possible on NC roads after snowfall (wbtw.com)
- Snow, some heavy, falling across Charlotte area (newsobserver.com)
- Snow falls in Upstate, mountains; weather advisory extended (wyff4.com)
- Snowfall predicted for tonight, Saturday in Athens area (onlineathens.com)
- WEATHER: Snowfall Forecast (wtvr.com)
- Snow, some heavy, falling across Charlotte area (charlotteobserver.com)
September 9, 2012
The Generation X crowd is now parents, and most Gen Xer’s are teaching the same lessons as learned as a teenagers. The Generation X crowd (especially yours truly) is now 40 years of age. The world has changed in the last twenty years as the economic times were good, the stock market was on the rise, and the fall of communism made the United States as the unrivaled+ power in the world. The traditional world order was shedding its mantle, and that included the way our parents become integrated into the financial services world. This Gen Xer did openly buy into the debtor society. My family was very generous with gifts of a college education, a new car, cruise, and a lifestyle beyond belief. However, the first $500 credit card during my first year at North Carolina State University was like free cash. I was given all the gifts of a material lifestyle, but my education system gave me zero preparation of the financial world of credit, savings, and life as adult. When I was 18 years old, I wish the question of my 18th birthday would be the following: Should I use my savings to attend school, start a business, or invest in property? How different life would be at 40 if investor instead of debtor would have been my 18th birthday present. To be continued final at 3pm
- Personal Finance: Creating the future saver generation in children (thewiseme.com)
- Dave Ramsey is right, but fixing problems in a cataclysmic reality.(draft) (thewiseme.com)
- The Wall Street Journal Confirms That Debtor’s Prisons Are Returning to America! (oleole.com)
- Why America Spends While the World Saves: Beyond Our Means (ritholtz.com)
- Savers ‘facing catastrophe’ if rates are cut says Nationwide boss (thisismoney.co.uk)
Zeek Rewards $600 million dollar ponzi scheme may leave customers short on assistance from primary bank.
September 9, 2012
August 17th was the news story date about Zeek Rewards or Rex Ventures based in Lexington, NC being busted by the Securities and Exchange Commission for being a $600 million Ponzi scheme. For more information about the dynamics of Zeek Rewards, the following link to CNN can provide additional insight into the dynamics of the scheme. In this article, the topic is the banking customers who are looking to their traditional banking entity to assist in recovering some of the funds recently deposited into this Ponzi scheme, I have a copy of a couple of bank’s internal policies surrounding their treatment of all customer’s attempting to recoup funds from Zeek Rewards, and the documents state that the process will not be an easy experience for the consumer. Recourse to recoup money is like entrance into heaven, a camel’s hair through the head of a needle.
The documents are harsh on the recourse of the customer to remove the bank from the forefront of this fight. One bank is stating any stop payments on bank issued cashier’s checks (funds may be paid from a consumer impacted in this scheme) will not have the option to place a stop payment on the cashier’s checks, and any cashier’s checks with holds or stop payments will be removed. This avenue of customers attempting to salvage a loss by stopping payments on bank cashier’s checks are not feasible by a majority of the banks. This information is according to internal bank documents from several banks on their policies on this developing Ponzi scheme.
The second avenue of recourse for the customer is attempting to recoup funds from ACH, debit card, or credit card transactions that was used to fund these transactions. The banks will follow the proper procedure in filing the paperwork for the the necessary chargeback procedures. However, the customer did authorize the transactions, and may be liable for the charges. What recourse is available for someone who is a victim?
For inquiries about transactions associated with Rex Ventures, Zeek Rewards, NxPay, or NxSystems, please reference the following resources:
Receiver appointed for Rex and Zeek funds: firstname.lastname@example.org
North Carolina Attorney General‘s office: 919-716-6046 reference Zeek
Please contact me email@example.com if we can be of assistance in the journalism community…..
- Zeek Rewards Shut Down by the SEC Leaving All of The Zeek Rewards & Rex Venture Group Affiliates Without A Business – What’s Next for Zeek Rewards Affiliates? (prweb.com)
- Feds Halt Alleged $600 Million ZeekRewards Ponzi Scheme: How It Happened And What’s Next (forbes.com)
- School: GetZeek fundraiser not related to Ponzi scheme (myfox8.com)
- SEC shuts down $600 million ‘Zeekler’ ponzi scheme in Lexington (myfox8.com)
- Federal officials allege $600 million Ponzi scheme (newsobserver.com)
- Zeek Pyramid Scheme: A Million Penny Crimes Set Record For Number Of Victims (ibtimes.com)
August 27, 2012
The act of impersonation a member of law enforcement official is against the law. The law enforcement community in many jurisdictions do not take kindly to impersonators, and will take action to stop this menace to society. That is any other individual in the United States
except debt collectors. The law enforcement community has a unique relationship in the legal process to report such a violation. My mother was a recipient of a call from an fake official of law enforcement, and the fake story was even more impressive as this individual claims to be investigating a check incident by a lady named Cherry. Being present during the voicemail message. I decided to investigate, and the results of investigation are mind boggling for a lack of better terminology. The voicemail message is enclosed at the conclusion of this paragraph.
After some investigating, the origination of the phone was from Mississippi, and additional research did determine the business is located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The next step in the process was to dial the (601)326-2774 to discover who would answer the phone. The voicemail greeting was from the same person as the caller to my mother’s phone number. The voicemail is available in the video at the beginning of the article. In the second step, the local police department in Hattiesburg was the next attempt in attempting to find recourse in placing a stop to debt collectors violating the law, but ruining the credibility of our legal structures in our communities. The Hattiesburg police department was kind enough to inform that the only recourse was for my Mom to file a report in North Carolina. The officer did state, ” the filing of a report does not prove effective for this company may stop operating before our jurisdiction can take over”. This statement from the police department in Hattiesburg was shocking, for impersonating law enforcement is considered an immediate danger that must be stop. Debt collectors get a pass. This story is not over. Details by 5pm on the resolution of illegal debt collectors impersonating law enforcement.
- Law Enforcement is Not Your Friend (informationliberation.com)
- Debt Collectors Real & Fake Top List Of Most-Blocked Phone Numbers (consumerist.com)
- Law Enforcement Discover More than $100 Million in Marijuana in Idaho Forests (boiseweekly.com)
- Wharton County 100 Club Law Enforcement Awards Banquet (whartoncountytx.com)
- Consumers Rights & Fair Debt Collection (acefinance.me)
April 24, 2012
|Results for U.S. Republican Presidential Primaries|
The Republican presidential race will not see many changes after the primary races in Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island. Sources close to Gingrich are saying that he will stay in the race after today’s primaries, and the candidate has no imminent plans on withdrawing from the race….The source states that any present or future speculation of Mr. Gingrich withdrawing from the Republican presidential race is unfounded. Mr. Gingrich is not in the primary race with an expectation of winning, but Santorum has left an opportunity for Mr. Gingrich in the race. Mr. Gingrich has many benefits to stay in the race including personal, leverage, and conservationism in general.
- Newt Gingrich: ‘Not dropping out of race following Tuesday primaries’ (bazaardaily.com)
- Newt Gingrich in NY: I’m staying in race (newsday.com)
- Newt looking to spring an upset in Delaware (worldviewtonight.com)
- Newt Gingrich Gets Bitten by a Penguin (peoplepets.com)
- GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich to visit Charlotte area this week (newsobserver.com)
- It’ll be so anticlimactic when Newt Gingrich finally bows out (theblaze.com)
- 10 Reasons Why Newt Gingrich Is Still In The Race (listofx.wordpress.com)
- FINALLY? Newt Gingrich Might DROP OUT If He Doesn’t Win Delaware (businessinsider.com)
- Newt Gingrich And Ron Paul Staying In GOP Presidential Race (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Folks want Newt Gingrich to quit presidential race, but he don’t wanna (shortformblog.com)
April 22, 2012
- Eastern North Carolina is ground zero in state’s economic crisis(article 2) (donny-wise.com)
- NC Legislatures: Voters clash over Amendment One, NC economic news gets worse (donny-wise.com)
- Top Ten Highlights of Cleantech in South Carolina (cleantechies.com)
- Baxter to announce manufacturing plant, create 1,000+ jobs (bizjournals.com)
April 15, 2012
The News and Observer out of Raleigh, NC did feature a story in the focus of the Republican candidates and President Obama organization in the Tarheel State. Rick Santorum did bow out of the race, and the only candidate is Newt Gingrich in the Republican field of candidates. However, the change of fate does favor Mitt Romney in lieu of Rick Santorum being out of the race. However, the organizational genius is President Obama as the 13th campaign office was opened this week.
In North Carolina politics, the unpredictable is the normal in North Carolina politics. The state did vote for President Obama in 2008, but voted the most conservative General Assembly two years later since the mid 1800′s. North Carolina is peculiar state in its politics. Democrat or Republican should not take for granted the voting public and sentiment in this state. Mitt Romney has the clear shot to the Republican Nomination for President, but he is far behind the Obama organizational structure in North Carolina. The election of 2012 will place the state among Ohio and Pennsylvania as pinnacle to victory. The next few months will reveal the importance of North Carolina to Mitt Romney. A conservative General Assembly does not guarantee any candidate a pass in North Carolina politics.
- The spectacle of Fox News leadership in CEO Roger Ailes (donny-wise.com)
- Roger Ailes CEO Fox News Spectacle for Conservative Journalism(article excerpt) (donny-wise.com)
- Obama starts re-election campaign in traditionally GOP territory (mercurynews.com)
- Obama defends typically GOP states in race to 270 (hosted.ap.org)
- Obama defending Mid-Atlantic, Southwest in 2012 race (ctv.ca)
- Gingrich hopes NC is spring board to open convention | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News (donny-wise.com)
- Analysis: Obama leads in projected electoral vote totals (politico.com)
- GOP Presidential Hopeful Gingrich Continues Campaign (washington.cbslocal.com)